7.22.2011

five on friday

1. I suppose I should start calling this post: "Five on EVERY 5th Friday!" I'll try to make it more consistent!

2. This week our house helper's 18-year-old daughter, Anchuu (pronounced On-Choo) began cooking lunch for us! Good thing 18-year-olds in America aren't responsible for feeding others! She is a great cook, and it's such a relief that I don't have to worry about doing that each day! And she tries to endure our pitiful attempts to speak Hindi! God love her!

3. In the evenings, Anchuu comes back to wash the dishes from the day! Today she brought a girl named "Sarah" with her. Sarah is a college student studying journalism and English. After introducing herself, she asked us if she could come each day and teach us Hindi. Can I just tell you that God amazes me some days? Starting tomorrow she will come each day for 30 minutes to teach us Hindi. She wants to start by teaching us to buy vegetables and fruits. She said Anchuu told her that the vegetable wallah was ripping us off every day and making us pay way too much! Mind you, we buy about 2 bags full of vegetables (okra, onions, potatoes, eggplant, mango, carrots, and cucumbers) for about $1.50, but if she can teach me to get them cheaper and how to ask for them in Hindi, I'M ALL EARS!

4. I recently found an auto driver who seems dependable and very reasonable in price. He picks us up each day for school. In the afternoons, he works as a chef at a local restaurant. On Wednesday, he picked me up from school and his wife was with him. Before they dropped me off, they invited our entire family to lunch on Monday at their house! Again-- God amazes me!

5. Speaking of eating--- Wednesday evening I enjoyed a great dinner out with some other American girls that are here studying language. While we were waiting on our food, a rat crawled across the floor! It's safe to say that most of us had our feet in our chairs pretty quickly and kept them there for quite some time! The best part of the story is that we stayed and ate dinner! Seriously- living in India makes you do some crazy things!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Love your descriptions. I have some great mental pictures! Thanks for the updates. My little bot and I have you on our prayer list. He is so interested to see the pictures of your boys and is fascinated that they are in another country.

    Peggy Hobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy- Thank you so much for reading the blog and keeping up with us! Also, please tell your little boy that my guys appreciate those that are praying for us! Sure makes those hard days seem easier! :)

    ReplyDelete