12.19.2010

ummm... jesus?

Preacher's kids are notorious for being rebels. And as hard as I try to change them, mine have a little in them as well! Kids will be kids, and our kids often miss important spiritual things. Just the other day we were debating on buying a kit that taught the Christmas story to children. In an effort to decide whether or not to purchase it, I simply asked Jack, "Jack, why do we celebrate Christmas?" I waited for him to preach a three point sermon and sing Just As I Am but instead I heard silence. Assuming he didn't hear me, I asked again and this time I heard a small unsure voice say, "Ummmmm.... Jesus?"

I apologize if you were the one I violently pulled in front of on my way to LifeWay. We needed that kit, and we needed it quickly. My babies may be 110% boy, but they WILL know the Christmas story!

Unfortunately, the kit that we bought was not my favorite so we have had to revamp it slightly. The theory behind is that you open one small box each night and tell a part of the Christmas story. The problem with it is that the story is written in poetic form, and my boys are on another planet after the first line. So we just tell the story in our own words, and to help it sink in, we do a little something extra at the end!

The first night, we opened the box and found an angel.
Photobucket

Photobucket


In an effort to make the lesson stick, we made a little something to remind us of the angel and the part he played in the beautiful story.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now we not only have some great memories, we have two fabulous angels on our tree to remind us of the beginning of the Christmas story!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I hope that if you ask my boys about Christmas now that both can tell you that we celebrate Jesus' birthday at Christmas. And I'm pretty sure that both can tell you that an angel came and told Mary that she would have a baby, and she should name that baby Jesus! I can't wait to share the rest of the story with them as we patiently await Christmas Day!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interested in this kit? Here's the link:



No comments:

Post a Comment