12.20.2010

parents

Everybody has them. Some parents are naturally great at their job. Others could use a manual for step-by-step directions. Either way, God created them and has big plans for each parent and high hopes for them as they attempt to train up their children. His hopes were nothing short for the two that He chose to raise His child.

Our following two Christmas boxes revealed Mary and Joseph. Since I couldn't locate that step-by-step parenting manual mentioned above, we told the boys how the angel had told Mary she would have a baby and then we explained how she shared her news with her cousin, Elizabeth. But the whole "virgin birth" part just didn't get a lot of discussion. I know they say children are more aware of sexual matters earlier and earlier, but I am CONFIDENT that my boys would have displayed a definite "deer-in-the-headlights" look if we had attempted to explain that section of the story.

Joseph was a different story. His story has deep roots in the lives of my boys. After all, didn't he "adopt" the Son of God as his own? It was a great opportunity to remind our boys how special they are and how we took them in to our home to love them and raise them as our own! It also reminded me of just how blessed Joseph was to have been given that opportunity to raise a child (not to mention the baby was the Messiah!) It makes me smile to think that Jesus and my boys share such a common bond!

After the story was over, we had to soften the mood so we acted out the scene where Mary and Joseph and traveled to Bethlehem on a donkey only to find a full "hotel" and an empty "barn." (We had to change the words slightly for our twenty-first century children.) Lucky for me, I won the role of the "innkeeper." Max was "Mary" and Jack was "Joseph." Jason naturally found his role as the donkey, and I have to say he did a fabulous job!

Photobucket



Pardon the dog. Although Mary and Joseph most likely did not take their dog with them, Otis thought he needed to be part of this story!

Photobucket

I am also certain that Mary's ride did not resemble that of a bull ride, but that's exactly what ours turned in to!

This Christmas we are thankful for Mary and Joseph and the overwhelming responsibility that they accepted and handled with such grace and love! And I'm so grateful that God allowed Jason and I to raise two beautiful boys, and that we are able to share the Christmas story with them! I pray they remember if for years to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment