12.21.2010

christmas houses

I wish I were more rooted in tradition with our kids, but the truth is I sincerely love change. This is likely the reason that we never do the same thing twice in our home!

At school, I am much different, and I have my all-time favorite activities that I tend to pull out year after year. One of those activities is building gingerbread houses. It just makes me smile to see all those iced houses adorned with brightly colored candies.

This year I decided to bring that tradition home to my boys. Jack could hardly wait for the big event. I was careful to gather all the ingredients before I called in the troops.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Of course when I did call them to the table, they did what most children do when they sit in front of a table filled with candy and icing.....


Photobucket

Photobucket

They ate.

After their taste test, both were ready to dive in and decorate. We started with the icing on the roofs. Some people worked very hard.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some people worked hard briefly and then became sidetracked. The guilty shalll remain nameless.

Photobucket

Photobucket



Finally it was time for the best part... the candy. One person in particular worked very diligently to complete their house.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And others continued to gorge themselves by taking in large handfuls of candy and devouring anything they could find.

Photobucket

Photobucket

In fact, on his house, you'll find many half-eaten pieces of candy. For example, check out this Santa who is mysteriously missing his legs.

Photobucket

To be fair, he wasn't the only one that was interested in a little snack. The dog waited patiently for ANYTHING that hit the floor or the chair in this case.

Photobucket

When all was said and done, we had two houses. One house was adorned with perfect patterns, neatly aligned ornamentals, and a well-thought out design.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And then we have another. It may or may not resemble the looks of CandyLand throwing up!

Photobucket

Photobucket

But when Max finished his masterpiece, he stepped back and said, "My mimas (Christmas) house is pufec (perfect)!" And it was!

They were both perfect! I certainly hope this tradition sticks around for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment