10.02.2010

on your mark, get set, WHAT WAS I THINKING, go

Let me preface this by saying... I AM NOT A RUNNER! I would not dare pretend that I am! A few weeks ago, my assistant insisted that I sign up to run in the 5K Buddy Run that supports families/ children that have been affected by Down's Syndrome. It seemed like a fabulous idea. So I set out to prepare myself.

Of course, one of the most important parts of running is having the correct equipment, so I bought some brand new kicks! Too bad they didn't make me more capable of running. I've also heard that it's a good idea to train a little. I walked/ran (mostly walked) a few nights with my neighbor approximately 2 miles. But one night, I went alone and actually ran the entire 5K. After recovering for 7 days, I did it once more last Monday night. Otherwise, I guess you could say this morning was my 3rd attempt to run a 5K. To say I was unprepared is being kind!

Clearly you should practice MANY times before you actually run in a race.... but at 7:30 this morning, I thought I was an Olympic Runner! I thought that until 8:31... the race started at 8:30. I seriously underestimated the power of hills, and whoever mapped out the course, obviously HATED me! Kidding! It wasn't that bad, but there were a few times that I wanted to lay down on the concrete and die. None the less, minus a few walks here and there, I made it. And there was definitely a high at the end of it.

A friend from school ran along side of me the entire time and she actually won 3rd place in her age group.... too bad I'm not 40! I ran in one second ahead of her! All in all, it was a great day, and for some crazy reason, I've agreed to run again in two weeks at the Susan B. Comen Race for the Cure. I'm pretty sure I'll try to practice up before them! Here are a few pics from today (sorry... all iPhone photos... I couldn't possibly have carried my camera!)




This shot was early (pre-race). Kerstin said my face looked like I was saying, "Seriously?!?!? I can't believe you're making me do this." I don't think I was thinking that until 8:31, but I think I thought far worse things! :)
Photobucket





I still look half-asleep. This was another pre-race shot! I think I'll spruce up a little more for the next race if pictures are going to be taken! The funny thing is that this morning, Jason was stretching at home, and I was fixing my hair. I've gotta work on my priorities on race day!
Photobucket





Praise the Lord! This was the finish line! It was such a welcomed sight! That was my sweet friend Kelly right behind me that won 3rd place! Way to go, Kelly!
Photobucket






This is as close to a trophy as I will EVER get! Hey... a girl can dream!
Photobucket






These are my Saltillo girls! We represented Saltillo Primary and Team Peyton very well! We've already agreed to run again in two weeks!
Photobucket





Here's a shot of me and my man! Yea... he had gall bladder surgery two weeks ago and he still beat me! I wouldn't have it any other way. What kind of man would he be if he let a girl beat him! You won, Jason! It doesn't happen often so gloat all you want! We're just slightly competitive!
Photobucket





Here is the invisible team member for Team Peyton. Liz decided she would pay her money, get a shirt, and be a cheerleader. She was a pretty good cheerleader and made a killer sign, but she has to run one day! She CAN'T be worse than me!
Photobucket





The neatest part of running is the reason that you run each race... The picture below is of me, Kerstin (my assistant), and Peyton! God had special plans for him when He created him, and he is so fortunate to have been born to a family that loves him just as he is, as are the many children that were represented today!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. GREAT! GREAT cause,proud you both finished. It IS an accomplishment for someone who isn't a runner! Guess you are now! Congratulations .

    ReplyDelete