10.07.2010

five on friday

1. Jason sent me a text yesterday that said, "Got you some swag." He enjoys using words that I don't know. I had to have the origin of the word and the definition before I was clear on exactly what it was we were talking about.

swag (swæɡ)
n
1.slang property obtained by theft or other illicit means
2.slang goods; valuables
3.an ornamental festoon of fruit, flowers, or drapery or a representation of this
4.a swaying movement; lurch
5.dialect ( Midland English ) a depression filled with water,resulting from mining subsidence
6.informal ( Austral ), ( NZ ) (formerly) a swagman's pack containing personal belongings
7.informal ( Austral ), ( NZ ) go on the swag to become a tramp
8.informal ( Austral ), ( NZ ) swags of lots of

After looking through the list of possible definitions and praying that #1 and #7 weren't correct, I decided he must have gotten me some goods and valuables. He's been at a conference this week, and I'm looking forward to seeing the prizes he brings home!

2. Speaking of new words, Jack blessed us this week with his first curse word! I know every parent dreads this moment, and I've always wondered when it would happen. He was playing his DS, closed it, and said, "What in the h***?" Since Jason was out of town, I called him to tell him the news. I love his response: Well, did you tell him we don't say that? That sort of question really calls for a smart comment. No, Jason. I sat him down and told him a few other four-letter words and we practiced saying those, too! OF COURSE, I TOLD HIM WE DON'T SAY THAT! I admit that Jason's vocabulary can be a little over my head sometimes, but I am not completely ignorant! :) Of course, in Jack's defense, the term "hell" is used in this house in Biblical terms since his daddy is a preacher! I'm hoping that's the only word he has in his arsenal!

3. I'm having a yard sale on Saturday! Why do I always underestimate the effort that is required in putting on a yard sale? And why do I wait until the night before to drag things out and price them? I guess because I wait until the night before to do EVERYTHING in my life! Bad habits are hard to break!

4. I just realized today that Monday is a holiday and there is no school. I sort of did a small dance in celebration! Please don't tell my fellow Baptist church members that I "danced." I apologize. I've just been in great need of a holiday!

5. Jason went to Catalyst this week. This year they did a live streaming of Francis Chan's session. If you are not familiar with him, he wrote a fabulous book called Crazy Love. I read that book a little over a year ago, and it absolutely changed the way I think about Christianity and our role here on earth. If you haven't read it, you should check it out. Be prepared to have your toe's stepped on and be prepared to reevaluate your current way of life. It's definitely worth reading! It caused our family to make some big changes!

1 comment:

  1. Oh,,,Jack,,,I am just getting to read this. He is growing up! Yuck.I like innocence better! I remember when Jason said his first cuss word. We were in NC,so he was about the same age. He missed the seat on the swing,he came out with s_ _ _. I calmly told him that was ugly,and he wasn't going to say that. I actually can't recall hearing him say another one! I know he did,,but guess he knew I was pretty mean! I know,Jack is growing up! I like innocence better! But,,,we're all born with that sinful ugly nature. But I also know he has a great momma and daddy ,,and he will learn right too. Yall keep up the goid work,,,and don't ever kids your sense of humor! I like the "no,I sat down and taught him more" lol Don't worry ,I always faught dancing.g too,,then I found out David danced Naked! In the streets,,so now,,i"m a dancing fool! HAHA. And yes,, Crazy Love is wonderful! When we discover His love,,,you can NEVER be the same! I love yall!

    ReplyDelete