9.22.2010

the surgery

There are two sides to this story- the light-hearted side and the serious side. This is not the serious side.

I was awakened on Saturday night by a very unhappy man. It was nearly 4:30 AM, and the wake-up call was less than pleasant. Jason grabbed my foot and shook it violently while saying, "Don't you know I'm up and I'm hurting," to which I responded, "No. I didn't know that." After attempting to go back to sleep, I finally gave in and used my medical skills to diagnose what I thought was surely an issue with his gall bladder.

Since our kids were fast asleep, Jason (God bless him!) drove himself to the emergency room. He's a pro at this. He was checked in, doped up, and sent for an ultrasound. Though he questioned the technician about whether he "was having a girl or a boy," all they found was that he definitely had some gall stones and surgery would be necessary!

IMG_5590

We requested that this surgery be done ASAP. The procedure was set for Monday morning, and we were all set to go home and return the next day. Unfortunately they wanted Jason to stay through the night!

IMG_5594

Since this was unexpected, I ran home to grab a few things and left Jason at the hospital. He assured me he would be fine and that he didn't need anyone to "babysit" him. Boy was he wrong. When I returned, I found this outside the door.

IMG_5597

And I found this on his arm.

IMG_5599

These items are typically reserved for eighty-year-old women who might have trouble standing, but they aren't limited to them. Apparently if you get out of your bed to change the TV channel and you black out and wake up to find yourself laying on the floor, they will gladly label you a "Fall Risk" and adorn you with a matching bracelet and door sign. Jason was no longer allowed to leave his bed without assistance.

He made it through the rest of the day without any other major incidences, and his surgery was done bright and early on Monday morning. It went well, and he was returned to his room shortly after.

IMG_5593

But I must tell you... when he came back my heart skipped a beat. Of course I missed him and I was happy to see him, but something about seeing your man in stockings really makes a girl excited! I couldn't resist a picture!

IMG_5603

Jason is doing fairly well. He has been up and about and has been a fabulous patient. I have to say that he has not been a whiner at all and has probably done more than he should around the house to help out!

We are super grateful to all of our friends/ family that called, visited, or brought food! It's so nice to know that we are thought of and loved! Though it wasn't a major surgery, it certainly was unexpected and your kindness made it go smoother than I ever imagined!

(God used this experience to teach me some VERY valuable lessons! I'll share those another day!)

2 comments:

  1. I started laughing BEFORE I started reading! But I'm glad its over with,,,you just have to see the funny side in things of life,,,and Jason gave you a great opportunity to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure the unconcious Jason apprecitated the pictures!!! I hate wearing those stockings, they are very tight!! which is the point I guess, Funny blog but I'm happy he is o.k.!!

    ReplyDelete