8.02.2010

torn


I’m sad tonight! Tonight I say goodbye to my long days at home with my boys. Man… summer is such a trap. It hangs out there, luring you in, and makes you fall in love… before you know it, you’re hooked. Unfortunately, at the other end of the line (less than two months away) is your job waiting eagerly to drag you back!

Don’t get me wrong… I LOVE my job. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be writing this, because I’d be tucked safely away at home anticipating nothing more than another day at home with my boys. But this summer has been one of those that keeps me longing for more. We’ve done so much together, and I have no regrets of how we spent it!

We started each day like everyone else in the world. We watched cartoons, snuggled, and shared breakfast together. Many days we never even got dressed. My little one became quite accustomed to that part, and any time he saw me getting ready, he immediately asked, “Where are we going, Momma?” He knew his momma would prefer to stay in her pajamas ALL day unless she had something pressing to do!

We also did many other “required” summer activities, like swimming, picking blackberries, playing outside, blowing bubbles, and a million other things!

Many days, we had to strip at the door and head straight to the bathtub because our bodies were holding as much dirt as they could possibly handle!

Though we loved the ordinary, we were also so fortunate to get to do some pretty extraordinary things this summer. We got to experience Disney World, and that needs no explanation. It’s just magical… nothing more to say.

Another of my favorite things this summer was going to the beach with my parents. I’m so lucky to have such fabulous parents, and it’s so fun to see my kids spend time with them. We made lots of memories and I hope I’m half the parent that they have both been to me.

With that said, tomorrow is a new chapter. I embark on another year with a new group of students. I am CERTAIN that God has hand-picked the children that he will place in my care for the next 180 school days, and I am CONFIDENT that He will give me the kindness and patience and strength that is necessary to be a good teacher. I truly feel called to do what I do, and teaching is a part of every fiber in my body.

But as I say good-bye to that time with my boys, I also pray for those who will be in charge of them while I’m away. Jack will begin first grade, and Max will resume his place at a local daycare. I know they are both in good hands, but a mother can’ t help but struggle with leaving them everyday!

So I sit here tonight… finding myself leaving two LOVES for another, but I’m grateful for my boys and for my job! And deep, deep down, I’m excited to watch God write the new chapter. He’s done a fabulous job up to this point… why would He let me down now?

How about the rest of you? Do you find yourself struggling with the same dilemma? How do you balance a passion for your job with the responsibilities of being a mother?

4 comments:

  1. Precious! Wonderful memories! Who's 1st grade class will he be in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole Brazeal. Where is Ava going to be? Makes me sad that they are getting bigger! I'm just one hall away, but I feel like it's across the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well said, Sarah! I understand completely what you are talking about. I, too, will be leaving in the morning headed back to work. It gets better as they get older. I remember well when mine were your boys' ages! I hope you have a fabulous year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blogs Sarah. You are such an accomplished writer. I know you hate to leave your sweet boys, but at the same time, I know you love to teach those children, and you are so good at it. I do hope you are able to keep your blog up, as we all love to read it. happy school year. I am so blessed to be able to combine my passion. I always knew I would teach, but I never thought it would be my own children. I am blessed in that,but I am going to miss the challenge of getting 20 something children to listen, learn, and me learn something from them. I pray for all our teachers that God uses them in the lives of all the school children out there. God bless you this year friend.

    ReplyDelete