8.31.2010

it's all about the attitude

A few weeks ago, I made mention of a verse that I recently fell in love with:

9 And I pray this: that your love will keep on growing in knowledge and every kind of discernment, 10 so that you can determine what really matters and can be pure and blameless in the day of Christ. (Philippians 1)

And since writing that, I have really started to evaluate my life. When I look back in years to come, I want it to be evident that I focused on "what really mattered." My evaluation has really opened my eyes to some things that need attention.... some simple and some that require lots of effort. But then I ran into a problem!

You see... as I was thinking about where I was and where I wanted to be, I couldn't help but think of one particular area. It's something I have prayed about for years. I recently received the answer that I was looking for and that verse solidified my decision. But as I thought about taking action regarding it, I realized, that even though I knew it was the right choice, it was the wrong time. So I did what most people do.

I pouted. Well... maybe I did a little more. The more I thought about it, the more it consumed me. Voicing my discontentment simply fueled my fire of unhappiness. Before long, I convinced myself that my life was a heck of a lot worse than it really was. Something had to change.

As I sat down to read my Bible this morning, I knew before I even began that my heart was not open. I was pouting about things not being MY way. I finished reading and I began emailing my accountability partner as I do each day. I wrote the saddest, most depressing email that I could come up with... about how I wanted things NOW and they weren't happening NOW and I was mad that they weren't happening NOW and blah blah blah and then.... I STOPPED!

I reread my words, and I had to pause. I'm a glass-half full girl! I didn't even know where those words came from. Why was I so down and out about one simple thing when I had a bazillion things to be happy about. And then it hit me. It's all about the attitude. You see- I can't change my circumstances right now. They are what they are and God intended them to be like this. But I am in control of my attitude. I can choose to focus on the things I cannot change, or I can accept where I am and serve God to the best of my ability while He works out His timing.

Though I long to walk gracefully as a Christian, I, too, stumble more times than I'm willing to admit. I am grateful for a God that loves me inspite of my ungrateful attitude. He has blessed my socks off, and I was reminded of that once again! So as I wait patiently for Him to carry out His plan for me, I have a new motto:

When I cannot change my circumstances, I can always change my attitude.

2 comments:

  1. I believe we have determined what really matters :) Now to patiently wait for it! In the meantime, I'm glad I get to share my days with you! Thank you for putting up with my lonely self while Brandon is gone, and for encouraging me to be more optimistic and content while I wait for God's timing. Yay for positive attitudes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when one of my favorite people comments, it really adds to the positive attitude!!!!! If I have to wait, I'm so grateful that I get to wait it out with you! You have been such a blessing to work with, and God's timing to put us together could not have been better! Thank you for helping me laugh through the hard times! You rock!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete