8.29.2010

bring on the rain

I love a fresh summer rain. There's just something about it that reminds me of God's grace... how He washes us clean and makes us new everyday. I love to go out after a rain and look at His creation and how it seems to be revived with each drop that falls upon it. Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
It wasn't long after we got Jack though that I realized little boys see nothing spiritual about the rain. They have only one thing on their minds when it begins to fall. It seems to beckon them to jump (and I do mean jump... not walk or step cautiously) in and stomp repeatedly. In fact, I believe it is impossible for a boy to walk around a puddle.

So today after our required Sunday afternoon naps, we ventured out in full gear to experience the wet stuff. Fortunately for our boys, the pavement in front of our house has settled and now creates two very delightful puddles that are perfect for a little fun!


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Even with all the fun, the boys took time to have a deep, philosophical conversation, which I was able to catch with my camera. It went a little something like this:

(Max) Hey Jack. What are you doing? (Jack) I'm looking for worms.
Photobucket


(Max) I can look for worms with you. Ummm... I don't see any worms.
Photobucket


(Jack) Hey... I like your boots, Max.
Photobucket


(Max) Thank you. You have boots, too!
Photobucket

Okay- so maybe their conversations aren't all that deep and interesting! But in all seriousness, their simple little conversations remind me to cherish the simple things. Today they taught me quite a few things: 1. take time to do simple things such as looking for worms, 2. offer to help others, even if they are just looking for worms, 3. say kind things to those we encounter, even if their boots are a little obnoxious, and 4. always remember to say 'thank you' when others show kindness to you!

These puddles have provided many days of fun for us. I still remember shortly after we moved here when I looked out and saw Jack laying on his stomach in the road. Upon closer inspection I noticed he was licking water from these puddles. When I questioned him about it, he said, "I was thirsty and needed a drink!" You gotta love a boy! It's not their fault that they do things like this. They're just born to look at things differently than girls! The next picture says it all!
Photobucket
But I'm awfully grateful for these little boys that have graced my life! And I love the fresh new perspective that they give me on life! A few minutes with them has the same affect on me that a fresh summer rain has on my plants... I feel revived by each moment we experience together! So today, I say "Bring on the rain!"

3 comments:

  1. Precious memories!........(hope they remember some of them! Lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Delba... That's exactly my motive behind blogging. Not only will they forget, but I will as well. This is my attempt to keep a record of our memories. This way I have "proof" of the things we did together! :)

    ReplyDelete