4.18.2013

Been there... done that!

In March, our family got a HUGE treat.  We've had the opportunity to see family since moving to India, but for the first time, we saw friends- people that make us laugh, people who we've shared life with, people that God placed in our lives many years ago and knew someday they'd trek halfway around the world to visit us in India.  And it was such a time of refreshment for us.


 photo IMG_3551_zps15e78f2c.jpg

I'm not usually one to cry, but I admit I got a little emotional when I saw them walk through those doors.  They came as part of a vision trip.  Troy, Jason's best friend, is serving as one of the pastors at Northstar Church in Saltillo, MS.  And Amy is a long-time friend and is married into one of my favorite families, the Brownlees.  Her family attends East Heights Baptist Church in Tupelo, MS (our former church)! The next few post are about our time with them-- the sight-seeing and the ministry!  Enjoy.  


After a long night of chatting and catching up (and opening up bags of goodies from friends and family), we thought it would be a wonderful idea to take them to see the Taj Mahal- after all, it is one of the seven wonders of the world.  And even though we've been in India for almost two years, we've yet to see it.

There are a few different ways to plan a Taj Mahal trip, but with limited time, we chose to take a taxi.  It left at a very early 6:00 AM!

Car rides can be difficult in America.  But sometimes they feel 1 million times more insane in India.  For starters, I owned the seat in the very back.  It was small, and my boys apparently found me more comfortable than the seats they were given.  I'm almost certain they sat ON me, rather than beside me.  I sort of felt cheated by the other adults who had their very own bucket seat.  But after arriving in Agra, we piled in yet another adult (our tour guide) and that left Jason, Troy, and Amy to share two bucket seats.  My back seat was looking better!

 photo IMG_3555_zps1f0904ff.jpg

After a terribly long car ride, we finally arrived.  Max was so happy to have Troy.  He loathes walking, and Troy kindly gave him shoulder rides!  Part of me thinks he did it to be kind, and the other part thinks he was just tired of hearing Max whine! :)

 photo IMG_3559_zps2dfed11f.jpg

We finally entered the gates, and behold, we saw the Taj.

 photo IMG_3564_zps7cd05e93.jpg

My favorite fact from the trip was:  The four towers that are placed at each corner are built on an angle.  In the event that one were to fall, it would fall away from the main building.  I think you can see the angle in the picture.

We also took a family picture for proof to my children in years to come that they have actually seen it (just in case I never bring them back!)

 photo IMG_3578_zpsfc0abc5c.jpg

Troy and Amy took in lots of new cultural sights in there first few hours.  One of which was the fact that men (who are just friends) hold hands.  Troy couldn't get over it.  He couldn't resist trying it.  My favorite part of this picture is the way Jack is looking at them... he's just a little unsure about this whole "hand-holding thing!"

 photo IMG_3586_zps8cde42e3.jpg

Jack may be a little shy about holding hands with other men, but one thing he loves is posing for a camera.

 photo IMG_3592_zpsfa31b8af.jpg

Before you can enter the Taj, you have to do one of two things.  Most of us elected to wear the 'shoe coverings' over our own shoes.  They may be practical, but there is ABSOLUTELY nothing stylish about them.


 photo IMG_3596_zps6594e6af.jpg

 photo IMG_3598_zps7c6372d7.jpg

 photo IMG_3600_zpsb2a246b4.jpg

The other option is to go barefooted like Troy.  But I don't think he'd recommend that to anyone else after stepping in an unknown wet substance inside the Taj Mahal!

Even though it was still only March, the weather was still terribly warm.  Thank goodness for cold water.

 photo IMG_3602_zpsb2ce3053.jpg

After seeing the Taj, we did a little shopping (or looking because we were too poor to buy the goods) and had some lunch.  We endured another long 4 hour trip back to Delhi, and I once again resumed my backseat spot UNDER my children!

 photo IMG_3605_zps84ef5524.jpg

I guess you can call me weird or odd, but I'm just not much of a sight-seer.  When I see a building, all I see is a... well, a building.  Now don't get me wrong- the Taj Mahal is beautiful, and I HAD to see it at some point, but now I can successfully say "Been there... done that!"  And I don't think I ever have to do it again.

And for those who plan to visit us in the future, don't worry.  Jason will be thrilled to make a return trip with you!

But despite my feelings for sight-seeing, spending time with these people was worth all of it!

 photo IMG_3589_zps8090cf1c.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment