2.26.2013

oh, say can you....

Almost two years in, and this place still surprises me.  If it's not the cows in the road, the people pooping on the side of the road, or piles and piles of trash, then it's something else that equally catches me by surprise when I least expect it.  You can't avoid it.  Surprises are bound to creep up on you occasionally, but those aren't the ones I'm referring to in this post.  Today I'm talking all about those that you bring on yourself and Jason Marlin is a glutton for punishment when it comes to this!

A few weeks ago, Jason received an invitation to speak at an event, celebrating "National Language Day!"  I know, I know... we'd never heard of it either.  What was his speech supposed to be about?  His language.  Jason is a smart guy.  He has lots of knowledge about many things, but English?  Let's just say he hardly makes it through a day without a double negative and don't dare ask him to name the parts of speech.  

But in true "Jason fashion," he gracefully accepted and showed up having no idea what he was going to say, but assuring me "that [he] had this under control!"  Turns out, this event was being put on by a theater group who thought it would be fun to celebrate languages by having a panel of speakers who possess different languages... all of whom share the commonality of English.  

Jason gets the program off to a start by doing an improv speech about "how our souls meet when we find someone who shares our heart language" and a lot of other junk stuff that really seemed to get the crowd going.  For a moment, I thought he was going to start preaching.

Almost an hour later, the panel had completed their task and returned to their seats.  I had long since lost interest and had reverted to my iPhone along with the boys.  I heard them announce a quick movie was going to be played, but Facebook seemed more captivating.  And then Jason turned to say, "How do we get ourselves into these things?"  I quickly reminded him that HE was responsible for our attendance at this event and I would take no responsibility.  Little did he know, his fun was just beginning.

At the conclusion of the movie, Jason turns again and says with great distress, "You have to help me!"  Help you?  With what?  "Sing."  Sing what?  "The National Anthem."  

In my perusal  of Facebook, I apparently missed an upcoming part of the program.  At the conclusion of the movie, we (or someone) was going to sing the National Anthem from each country represented.  

It started with the Indian National Anthem.  30-40 people proudly sang together, in unison, a song that was near and dear to their hearts.  It was followed by a beautiful version of an African national anthem.  And then, THEN it was our Jason's turn.

He begged me.  Pleaded for me to join him at the front of the room.  I tried to pull myself out of that chair, but it was too late.  I had entered "the 5th grade giggles on the church pew" state.  I was at a mix of laughing and crying, shaking violently at the thought of what was about to go down.  Jason was about to sing our National Anthem alone... SOLO.  

But that wasn't happening just yet.  Because you can't sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" without knowing the WORDS!  So he asked just one more question... "Can you tell me how it starts?"  With a few words, he was off to represent all of America in a room full of strangers.  

I couldn't even look up.  I had lost all the control that I ever possessed.  At this point, even my five-year-old was telling me to "get it together."  But I just couldn't stop laughing (and crying!)  And then he starts....

"Oh, say can you SING?"

I wanted to help him.  I really did.  But when he missed the VERY first line, that was all she wrote!  I was seconds away from howling out loud.  I was best left to hide my face behind a five-year-old that thought I had lost my marbles.

After a line or two, he stopped.  He wanted so bad for it to end, but it's not Indian culture to let you give up.  He pleaded, assuring them he wasn't a very good singer.  And they encouraged him. They cheered him on to continue, despite the fact that it was going to get worse!  

He CLOSED his eyes and picked up where he left off.  He skipped quite a few lines, repeated the ones he knew in place of them, and prayed that he would find "the land of the free and the home of the brave" sooner than he did!  Finally it came to an end.

My laughter didn't stop quite so abruptly.  In fact, it's almost a week later, and I still find myself snickering about his solo!  But I have to give him props.  It's a tough song.  And he's among some great company in butchering it-- Christina Aguilera, Michael Bolton, Roseanne Barr. 

It was a priceless moment.  A moment where I should have pulled out my video camera and captured it forever.  But ALL I could do was laugh.  And cry.  And laugh.  

I walk on the safe side of life.  I like predictable, easy, safe situations.  But I wouldn't trade one minute of the experiences that Jason gets us into... especially when the laughter is at his expense!  

So as I close, let me leave you with those famous words that ALL Americans should know!  Don't worry Jason-  you'll get 'em next time!  



Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

1 comment:

  1. After going over a handful of the articles on your website, I really appreciate
    your technique of writing a blog. I book marked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back soon.
    Take a look at my website as well and tell me your opinion.



    My web site zumba fitness zumba workout videos

    ReplyDelete