1.17.2013

Thailand- Bangkok

In June of 2011, we boarded a plane to India.  In those days, I was excited to see this place that I'd only heard about.  And it is a SPECIAL place.  Everyone should experience it before they die.  But, if you aren't native to this area, you'll begin to see very quickly that breaks from this place and culture are necessary.

We had heard this, but we didn't take it to heart until we had been engulfed in this place for 18 months. In December of 2012, we boarded a new plane-- this time headed to Thailand.  We planned 12 glorious days in this beautiful country.  BUT I could have moved there forever.

We started our journey in Bangkok.  It's a huge metropolis, and it's clean.  There are no cows roaming the streets.  No car horns.  Everyone drives in their designated lanes.  And trash is collected in garbage cans.  I was overwhelmed.  I hadn't seen anything like this in quite some time.  

But of all the things that surprised us, the sight and taste of beef was more than our hearts could handle. While I watched Jack take down his first of many Double Bacon Cheeseburgers from Burger King, I felt a bit guilty that he didn't get to enjoy them more often.  This boy LOVES a hamburger.  Look at that face... pure joy!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bangkok is full of malls.  I even shopped at GAP!  I could have shopped all day, but the boys couldn't bear another mall.  So we ventured out to see what we could find.  Our taxi driver took us to a river, where boat tours are offered.  It was fun to see the houses that lined the river banks.  They had so much character.

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can take the boy out of the South, but you can't the South out of the boy.  "Hey, y'all!"  We, southerners, just have to wave at the people we pass.

Photobucket 

Jason and I really took in the scenery, but the boys were highly engaged in a HotWheels conversation.  Apparently while I was snapping this sentimental moment, we passed through a "smelly area!"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Years ago, this river was used for trade.  Boats traveled up and down selling goods.  There are still a few boats that remain.  We didn't buy anything, but it was neat to see how things work.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The boats that travel this river are HUGE, and they take mighty big motors to keep them going!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bangkok is also home to Asia's largest aquarium.  It's randomly located at the bottom of a mall, but it really was a top-notch place.  We enjoyed it so much that we went through it twice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

These sea snakes creeped me out a little.  I'm telling myself these don't play in the beaches where I like to swim!

Photobucket

And an aquarium wouldn't be legit if "Nemo" wasn't present.

Photobucket

This beaver was chowing down...

Photobucket

But these fish were praying that he'd just drop one tiny piece!

Photobucket

This guy was just odd.  I don't know his name, but he deserved a picture!

Photobucket

Of course, who can resist the sharks?

Photobucket

The sharks could be best seen in the cave-like section of the aquarium... you know, where you're completely enclosed on all sides, including the ceiling, with aquarium?  This boy had the best seat in the house.  Why strain your neck?

Photobucket

I, however, was mesmerized by the jelly fish.  How can such a beautiful creature be so darn painful?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bangkok certainly did not disappoint.  And we cannot wait until we visit again!

Photobucket

I've done lots of fun things since moving to India, but making memories with these two is easily my favorite!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there mates, good post and good arguments commented at this place,
    I am actually enjoying by these.
    my web site > click through the following page

    ReplyDelete