12.26.2012

update.

Here's a less poetic recap of the saw accident:

I asked for a sander for Christmas.  Surprisingly, it came with a saw attachment.  And I just happened to have a piece of wood that needed cutting.  I had already turned the saw on once that morning and saw how dangerous it was.  The blade is completely open and there is nothing to stop it in the event it falls.

When Jason came home, I asked him to help me cut the piece of wood.  Jason is wonderful at many things, but me asking him to use an electric saw with no guard was not my smartest move.  This is not our first time to have stitches from sharp objects!

While I was holding the wood, the saw slipped out of Jason's hand.  Neither of us are sure when or how it cut Jason's hand.  I heard it cut into the washing machine and ricochet over to a nearby table.  Then, I felt liquid spray everywhere (Later we realized it cut through a bottle of bleach.)  Meanwhile, I was trying to get it unplugged, knowing it could turn at any moment back towards us.

As soon as the saw was off, Jason very calmly said, "Sarah, my hand is cut, and I think it'll need stitches.  But it's okay though."  I'm so thankful that one of us is calm under pressure.  I am NOT that person.  I could do first aid on any person in the world, as long as it's not Jason, Jack, or Max.  I have a huge weakness for their pain.

I pulled it together enough to drive us to the hospital.  A doctor friend was able to tell us where to go.  Once we arrived and the first guy looked at it, he took Jason straight to the doctor.

The problem with his hand was that the cut was made with a serrated blade.  This made the wound messy, more difficult to stitch.  They took Jason back to the surgery area, and I was handed a list of medications.  In India, you are responsible to buy the mediciness for any procedure.  Since the pharmacy is located somewhere else in the hospital, a very nice man volunteered to get the meds for me.

The boys couldn't go back in the surgery area, so they occupied themselves in the waiting room with the iPad.  I made quick trips to the back to check on Jason, while the sweet man beside me (that I'd never met before) watched the boys!  (We are so thankful to have teammates that live in our city and would help us out in a second, but unfortunately, everyone was out of town!)

The doctor only used nine stitches.  I had no idea what it looked like until they unwrapped it on Day 2. I have to admit that it looked a little Frankenstein-ish.  I was super concerned.  After consulting our company nurse, we decided it would be best if Jason saw a doctor in Delhi.  But despite booking a plane ticket and arriving at the airport EXTRA early on Christmas Eve, the plane was cancelled.  With all offices closing on Christmas Day, we found ourselves without many options but to wait it out and hope his hand would heal and stay without infection.

So today is Day 5.  His hand has started to heal, and there are no signs of infection (fever, redness, etc.) so we are thankful for that.  The doctor is keeping a close eye on it, and we are hoping all he is left with  is an ugly scar to remind us to always hire someone in the future!

For those who are curious, I included some pictures of his hand over the last few days!  It's all in black and white... no red for the squeamish ones like me!

Otherwise, Jason is doing fine, resting his hand, and getting out of ALL his daily chores.  I'm even shaving his head and face for him... I think he's enjoying the break!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!  Thank you for all the prayers and concern!










Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete