3.27.2012

adventures

(This should have been posted on or around Feb. 4th, but I was on a blog vacation evidently.)

Jason turned 35 this year. I don't know about you, but that sounds OLD to me. In fact, that number rounds to 40. YIKES!

Photobucket

Anyhow, our life had been a whirlwind prior to his birthday- trips, major holidays, other birthdays, out-of-country guests. It almost slipped by me, but just in the nick of time, Jack and I pulled it all together to help bring in the big 3-5 (which rounds up to 40.)

Photobucket

The night before his birthday, I heard Jason ask Jack if he had bought his present yet. Jack avoided the question and responded with, "Hold on just a second." I heard him scurrying up the stairs, and I knew he was on a mission. "Momma," he said, "did we buy Daddy's present yet?" The truth was I hadn't bought anything. I laid the news out there, but he just laughed as if I were kidding. I wasn't. When he finally realized I was serious, this look of horror landed on his face as he said, "But his birthday is tomorrow!"

I knew his birthday was coming and I attempted to think of a good present. But all I came up with were dead-ends. The clothes in the country are made for men that are built like teenage boys. I'm not sure if you've met Jason, but that doesn't adequately describe his body type. The electronics are expensive, and Jason has already helped himself to most of the latest gadgets. But the clock was ticking.

At midnight, I finally came up with an idea. Since life isn't just about things, I figured we'd make memories together instead. Jason had obligations until noon, so I woke the boys up early on Saturday to help me get started. Some individuals were more willing to help out than others!

Photobucket

Jack, on the other hand, is all about a project and was up and busy in no time.

Photobucket

We planned out our day and Jack's job was to draw "clues' for each event. He did an awesome job!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

When Jason got home, he opened "Clue #1" which was a picnic at the lake. Jason and Max finished packing up the basket and we were off.

Photobucket

We enjoyed a picnic near a lake.

Photobucket

After we ate our lunch, it was time for "Clue #2."

Photobucket

Our city is known as "The City of Lakes," so we thought it'd be fun to rent a boat and cruise around one of the lakes. It was one of those ideas that seemed so fun until my feet hit the pedals. Jack was dying to give pedalling a try, but his enthusiasm didn't last long.

Photobucket

It's much more fun just to sit back and ride.

Photobucket

Our boat trip lasted approximately 6 minutes. I guess asking someone to pedal their own boat on their birthday wasn't my greatest idea! A train ride was much more appealing and a lot less work!

Photobucket

(Never underestimate the spectacle that we create when we go out in our city. Many of these people have never seen "white people" in person, so we stop lots of people in their tracks. For us, the train ride was entertainment, but for all the people lining the tracks, the "white people" had their full attention. Check out the different faces these people are displaying!)

Photobucket

After that, we moved on to "Clue #3" which allowed Jason to choose his dinner. My cooking skills are starting to improve so he chose a home-cooked meal. We finished it off with carrot cake cupckaes (thanks to our sweet friends at East Heights Baptist Church for packages). Max has a phobia of pink so he thought it was hilarious that we gave Jason a pink candle. Mind you, if this were his birthday, he would have been in TEARS!

Photobucket

Clue #4 included a massage at a great little place in town, and Clue #5 closed out the night with a movie!

Jason might not have a tangible gift to hold on to, but Jack was awfully proud of his daddy's "Day of Adventure!"

Happy 35th (which rounds up to 40) Birthday, Jason! Our first ever birthday celebration together was 17 years ago when you turned 18. I think they just keep getting better!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. It was such a pleasure to read and see it all. What a great idea you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Jason ... I too turned 35 this year (but I'm rounding down to 30)!

    ReplyDelete