9.19.2011

party animal

My mother retired several months ago. I thought we sufficiently celebrated her accomplishments in all her years of service.... until I met Mr. Pachhi.

This morning around 8:00 I heard Jack downstairs talking to a man. I sent Jason down to check out the situation. He returned with Jack in tow, along with an invitation.

The man downstairs introduced himself as Mr. Panchhi (pronounces Pon-chee.) He explained that he had recently retired from the bank and tonight he would be celebrating his retirement. He kindly invited us to his party, despite having NEVER met us prior to this morning. What was even more ironic was the fact that we didn’t hesitate to accept.
Photobucket

Only two questions remained: Number 1- What time did the party start? and Number 2- What were we required to bring in honor of the celebration? We answered the first question by calling the phone number on the invitation.... the party was to begin at 8:00 PM. And the second question was answered by our language teacher. He told me that it was customary to bring flowers but also something that would last, like a decoration. Being that I've never been to a retirement party in India, we did the best we could on a gift... flowers, a pot, and some fancy soap. It's the thought that counts, right?

Photobucket
Photobucket

Eight o'clock almost never came. Just as the boys were tiring out for the day, it was finally time to head out. With everyone dressed and ready, we were out the door a few minutes after 8:00 PM ready to party.

Although I read the invitation, I still had no idea what to expect. And even if I had some expectations, they were way too low for what we experienced. IT WAS SO FUN! There was live music, a guest appearance from "Bobby Cash," dancers, videos, food, and much more!

Apparently when I got dressed for the evening, I put a note on my forehead that read: "I'm a white girl with NO rhythm. Please ask me to dance so that I can humiliate myself!" And all those sweet people at the party were much obliged to invite me on the dance floor!

By 10:15, the boys had had all the fun they could muster up, so we gave Mr. Panchhi one last "Congratulations!" We said our goodbyes to a few other neighbors, but one neighbor begged us to stay and have dinner. Dinner was being served at 10:30 PM! Unfortunately, all our boys were interested in were counting sheep so we had to turn down the offer!

I walked away with a few thoughts tonight. First, Mr. Panchhi throws a great party. Second, I now know to hire a babysitter for the next party so that I can stay out all night. And last, I may have missed my opportunity with my mother's retirement, but I'm fully armed to help my dad step into unemployment when he's ready! I know all the tricks of a retirement party now!

Please check out the video of our evening. I was in fact the only white girl at the party, so if you see me on the video, be gracious. I already told you I have NO rhythm! :)




Untitled from Sarah Marlin on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment