9.28.2011

five on friday

1. We are packed, our bags have been put on a truck, and we will be boarding a train for the first time today! I've never had the pleasure of riding on a train, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'm hoping it exceeds my expectations. We will arrive in Bhopal on Sunday. Let the house hunting begin!
  • This is not "one" of the "five on friday." It is merely unsolicited advice. Since we packed all of our things on Wednesday, I spent the last two days making do with what remained in the house. While I was cooking some cookies on Thursday as a gift for someone, I realized my trusty spatula was on a big truck headed for Bhopal. Using my ingenuity, I scanned the house for other objects that might help me carefully remove my warm cookies without leaving them malformed. Guess what I used? An nice handy index card. I have to admit that it not only worked, it was better than my spatula. I'm sure they make some fancy-schmancy contraption to remove cookies that costs lots of money, but I'm quite a fan of my index card! That was free information by the way!
2. We've spent the week trying to explain to our househelper in Hindi that we were moving. At one point, I think she thought we were just taking a vacation. Yesterday, however, she was persistently asking us something. We called a Hindi-speaking friend to to help translate. Kumlesh was just simply requesting that give we HER a gift in honor of US moving! Her forwardness paid off. She is the proud owner of a new outfit! Just one of the many new customs we have to get used to!

3. Honesty is another quality of the people here. Last week we were spending some time with the owner of our house. He commented that Jason and I had become very HEALTHY since arriving in India. I used to like him. (After I find a house in Bhopal, I intend to get UNhealthy. If and when that happens, I'll let you know.)

4. I started reading a series by Liz Curtis Higgs a few weeks ago. I finished the second of three a few nights ago but was devastated when I realized Kindle didn't offer the third book. Guess I'll request it in a package from the states. The books are set in Scotland and the language has a definite Scottish tone to it. This may sound crazy, but after reading two of the three books, I keep finding myself wanting to speak Scottish. Words like "ken" (to know), "tae" (to), and "verra" (very) keeping wanting to burst out of my mouth. Add that to my new Indian-English accent, and I'm beginning to have trouble understanding myself.

If you are interested in reading something great, here are the books:
  1. Thorn in My Heart
  2. Fair is the Rose
  3. Whence Came a Prince ( I warn you... it's not on Kindle!)
5. Speaking of new terms and languages, Max has recently started referring to Jason and I as "Daddy-O" and "Mommy-O." I'm not sure I love this. And who taught him this? Crazy kid.

2 comments:

  1. Hey girlie! I can tell you more at another time, but there is a company that you can order books from and they deliver at your door and you pay in Rupees! I checked briefly, and they actually have the 3rd book if you want to buy it. Looks like it'll be delivered in 1-2 weeks. If you want, for now, you could have it delivered at our house. I can tell you more about this if you're interested. It's flipkart.com. I know a good many people that use it. I bet you'd be surprised and excited about all the options on there.

    Cannot wait to meet your wonderful family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post-- like these. I see a friend may have hooked you up with a book. I read those several years ago. I can send you mine if you still don’t have it. There is a FOURTH book-- it picks up when their daughter is grown. Grace in Thine Eyes - it’s worth the read too.

    ReplyDelete