7.08.2011

gratefulness in chaos

I’ve intentionally held off from writing about our first few days in India. I know my words will be inadequate to explain this unique establishment on the other side of the world. As an American myself, I know that we have no box to understand this complex yet very simple society. Just when I think I understand it, I am astounded yet again by something I see, hear, smell, or taste.

In many ways, their culture is like ours, but as in any place, they have created their own unique twist on life.. The people wake up early and the bustling of cars, trucks, and autos is almost constant. Though lines can be seen on the most of the streets, they mean very little. At one point, the street may house two lanes of traffic and in a flash, it can contain 5 lanes. Blinkers are not important… an obnoxious honk of the horn lets them know someone is coming up behind them.

Many of them hold jobs just like you and me. Cell phone companies, grocers, doctors, and pharmacists are just a few. They have created for themselves a society where there are naturally lines in society and classes, but theirs goes a step further. The underlying “caste system” defines who they are and will become before they are even born. I’ve watched young girls and women place garbage in bags that will later be sorted and sold. These women have no opportunities for education and most likely for a better life in the future. There are nice neighborhoods in gated communities where life seems worry-free. But one block down, you can see the slums where some tents are covered in tarps and cardboard but others sleep on thatched beds in the open air. Oddly enough, all have developed a way of life despite their circumstances. Even the inhabitants of the slums can be found sponging off and brushing their teeth in the mornings in order to keep themselves clean despite their horrific living conditions.

The family structure is very important in this society as well. Fathers can be found holding hands with their children, quickly reminding me that they in some ways live just like Jack and Max. Children wearing uniforms are placed on buses and taxis by their parents each day to ensure adequate educations and bright futures. But there is also a grimmer side to life here. At long red lights, half-dressed children can be found pecking on car windows for food, change, or anything that could be given. They are relentless in their asking. We have found that our boys don’t complain as much when these unfortunate children are looking in on vehicle with their empty eyes. Giving to them does little to help them as you only seem to support child-trafficking.

But despite the poverty and filfth, surviving this place leaves one with a sense of accomplishment, and thriving here is possible. True- it’s no Disney Land. No one works to create a wonderful experience each day for you so that you have the most magical time of your life. But what I’m finding is that God truly gave us all that we needed to be happy and to become what he intended us to be.

I’m not naïve enough to think that all days in India will be happy or that I won’t struggle during my time here. (In fact, I wrote this two days ago and have since had a terrible case of culture shock! More to come on that) But what I do want to attempt to do is to appreciate this place for what it is and has to offer. There are many wonderful things here amongst the chaos if you look closely enough so I’m going to make that my goal. So I want to start an ongoing list of things I’m thankful for in India. In America, we don’t have to look far to find things that bring us joy, but while I’m here, I’m going to be intentional about an “attitude of gratitude.” So periodically, I will just make a list of things that bring me happiness in India. I’ll share them when they arise and expound on them if necessary. I hope that my experiences remind you to se the small things around you each day!

Photobucket
Here's a quick picture of the boys sweeping the verandah outside of our house!

3 comments:

  1. Love all that you shared. I'm reading a wonderful book that you might enjoy. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. onethousandgifts.com Her blog is aholyexperience.com Great for being thankful. I have a list too.

    Cute, cute pic of your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it well Sarah. Thinking of you all as you continue to settle in!
    Donna F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! It's Peggy Hobby from your mom's vet hospital. I have been watching your blog and waiting to see your first post from India. Your mom was in to see us this week. You and your family are on our family prayer list. I am excited to read about your experiences!! ...and your boys are too cute!

    ReplyDelete