5.02.2011

who am i?

Three months ago I was defined by the following:

I was:

  • A wife
  • A mother
  • A daughter
  • A sister
  • A friend
  • An accountability partner
  • An active church member
  • A kindergarten teacher
  • A children’s worship leader
  • A pastor’s wife
  • A National Board Certified teacher

Today, that list is shorter. Because God has called us into missions, we have cut away many of the things that were once part of our life. We have had to leave many of the positions that we held dear to us and helped define who we were as individuals.

As I was having my quiet time this morning, I was reading a short devotion and the central theme was “Our Identity.” It made mention of times in our life when we lose our identity. I couldn’t help but be reminded that much of my identity had been recently stripped away. A part of me wondered briefly who I really was without all of my titles and awards.

And then I reread the scripture reference:

“God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.” Galatians 4:4-5

“So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God.” Galatians 4:7


When I read that word “ADOPTION,” my heart couldn’t help but think of my boys. I remember vividly the day that we stripped Jack of his identity and everything he knew. But I also remember how much love was attached to that act. I know he was scared, unsure, and a bit tearful, but we knew what was in store for him. We had hundreds of toys waiting for him, a new room, a new family, love, and attention that he would have never otherwise received.

And then I compare that to my own life. God is sitting on His throne, and He’s shaking His head saying, “Sarah, I am calling you to far greater things! There are people that are waiting to hear of Me. There are eternal riches and rewards that are waiting to be received by you. Take up your cross, put away your selfish accolades, and become what I have intended you to be!”


Tonight if I made the list of how I am defined, I’d simply write:

A child of God.


I am so grateful to be a part of His family, a part of His plan. His ways are far greater than anything I could have accomplished on my own. I am adopted. I am defined by His love, grace, and mercy. And as I cherish the responsibility of adopting my boys and I think of just how much I love them, I cling to the promise of Luke 11:13:

“If you then who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”

What defines you?


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing inspiration to me, Sarah! Thank you for your willingness to pour out your heart for us to read, and even more for your willingness to follow God! Much love to you, Jason, & the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiration, Sarah!! I saw your Mom this weekend in Dublin. She told me about India. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious family as you embark on this journey for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete