4.10.2011

masterpiece

It didn't take us long to pick a name. There were only two requirements. First, it had to be simple to spell. I had spent far too long teaching children to write names that had 18 letters in them. Second, it had to be strong. We envisioned it being heard over a loudspeaker at a highschool football game as our son threw the winning touchdown. "AND JACK MARLIN PUTS IT IN FOR A TOUCHDOWN AND THE WIN!!!!!"

Five years later, I'm amazed at who he has become. And I'm amazed at how much his name suits him. His slender, yet muscular physique screams ATHLETE. But you know what? He isn't the least bit interested in sports. His passion is ART! I've known it for a while. It was evident in preschool and kindergarten when his penmanship and art out shined almost every girl. I know it now when I sign his signed papers. Each test has a beautiful masterpiece somewhere on the paper. The teacher in me cringes at the red marks that can be found on his papers many times. I'm certain that he was more interested in drawing than writing spelling words. But the mother in me loves that her baby has a passion for something and displays it for all the world.

He will most likely never throw a touchdown, be a valedictorian, or become president. He will, however, become the person God intended him to be. As he grows, I'm learning to let go of my dreams for him and seek after God's unbelievable plan for him. Psalm 139:15 says: I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful. I know that full well. And when he created "Jack," He certainly created one of his finest masterpieces ever!


Photobucket************************************
Last week, we received a letter that some of Jack's art was chosen to be displayed in a local art exhibit. When I read the letter to him, his eyes lit up as though he had been selected for the most prestigious award ever! In that moment, his name might as well been "Pablo Picasso," because he felt nothing short! His art has been displayed online for family and friends to view. By clicking here, you can see his creations. And if you wish, please leave him a comment! It would make "Pablo's" day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment