8.16.2010

celebrate

As we neared the close of our shopping trip, Jack had one last familiar request. He loves to look at the cakes in the bakery. He always chooses the one he's "going to have at his birthday next time." But as his window shopping ended, he returned to the buggy with a small cake in tow.

Life is full of celebrations... birthdays, anniversaries, promotions, triumphs, and accomplishments. But for the life of me, I could not recall a reason for us to celebrate with this cake Jack so strongly insisted on buying. And then it hit me... EVERY DAY is a reason to celebrate!

Let me name just a few:
  • We woke up today healthy and happy.
  • We returned home in the same shape!
  • We have great jobs.
  • We have been blessed with a beautiful home.
  • Our boys have a mama and daddy that love them to the moon and back.
  • Jason and I love each more today than ever before.
  • God has blessed our socks off and continues to amaze us with His faithfulness.
  • We both have families that love us and believe in us.
  • Jason and I have personal relationships with Jesus, and we are training our children up in the same way.
So as I looked at the cake sitting in the buggy, I was reminded of a scripture:

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

You see... we don't need a big, significant reason to celebrate. We should celebrate each day as though it may be our last. After all, every breath we are given is for a reason, and it is our responsibility to use them wisely and to make an impact on those around us.

So tonight, we lit the candle, blew it out, and we celebrated.
And these pictures only paint a small picture of the bazillion reasons our family celebrated tonight! Life is good! God is better!

So what are you celebrating? Don't wait for something monumental to come along... the small things are always the sweetest!

3 comments:

  1. your blog always reminds me of the things I should be thinking about, such as celebrating everyday things. I also loved your blog about the kids sleeping with you, sometimes....were going through that same thing!! my nine year old is the worst about it!!! she starts in her bed, and somehow I end up in her bed too. i try to remember that one day I'll be lucky if she lets me in her room, let alone her bed!!! I try to cherish her needing me all the time!!! Thank you for reminding me of these things!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Kelly! I'm sure all of us will look back way too soon and wish we still had a few of those opportunities that we dreaded when our babies were little! I'm trying to appreciate them now, but I fail far more often than I'd like to admit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! We are going to make a celebration cake toay with LOTS of icing! Thanks for the reminder! Lovin your blog! Missing you at NAES!!
    Love ya!
    Lisa Topper

    ReplyDelete