9.03.2013

Athens, Greece

For almost three months, this little blog has sat idol.  I think it's in the water in India.  Many of my teammates' blogs seem to be suffering from the same laziness that has consumed me!  In all fairness, I did have a computer hard drive crash on me, and I had to reinstall and set up this baby from ground zero!  Anyways, hopefully, this post will be just the kickstart I need to get Jumping Jax back up and running!



In what seems like another lifetime, but really not so long ago, our family took the trip of a lifetime to the Mediterranean.  I managed to capture our time in Venice before I took my long blogging hiatus.  So here's a little more of what we saw while we were away.  

After boarding the boat, we were at sea for a couple of days before we landed in Athens, Greece.  I'll be completely honest.  I'm not much for looking at old buildings.  This trip mostly allured to me because of the unlimited array of food, beautiful, clean locations, sun, and pampering.  But the sights we saw were absolutely beautiful and amazing, and so hard to believe they were still standing!

 photo IMG_4608_zpsdaea6e71.jpg

When at all possible, we took public transportation off the boat.  Living in India has equipped us with the ability and freedom to jump on random buses and trains, and they are way cheaper than taxis!  Some people took this time to make up for lost sleep!

 photo IMG_4652_zpsb7450589.jpg

First we saw the Parthenon.  We had read stories of long lines, grueling heat, and big crowds, but when you arrive first, none of those are a problem!  There were no lines for tickets, and the crowd was very slim!  It was a beautiful structure.  It was hard to get a great picture of it, because they are doing lots of restoration work on it, but I managed to capture a few for our memories at least!

 photo IMG_4624_zps99128f88.jpg

 photo IMG_4611_zps8b4ae0b7.jpg

 photo IMG_4618_zps81756595.jpg

I was amazed at the detail work.  Nowadays, these sorts of details are done by machines, but I'm guessing this was done with lots of elbow grease and practice.  So intricate!

 photo IMG_4616_zps4bffdabc.jpg

 photo IMG_4615_zps3f8c1790.jpg

One of the smartest things we did was bring Jack's iPod along so that he could take his own pictures.  He probably took more pictures than I did, but it kept him busy and entertained, where he might otherwise have been complaining.  This guy, on the other hand, only wanted to sit and took advantage of every possible opportunity!

 photo IMG_4605_zps2b902bb0.jpg

When he wasn't sitting, he was collecting "treasures!"  It's sort of an addiction he has.  Don't ask me how many sticks and rocks I carried back on the boat to avoid the tears!

 photo IMG_4632_zps6e10b8c8.jpg

We also saw a huge amphitheater located near the Parthenon.  I love my Canon dslr camera, but I probably used the camera on my iPhone 5 just as much, if not more.  I took way too many of these panoramic shots!

 photo photo_zps7a0be5e6.jpg

After all the viewing of old buildings, it was time for my favorite activity.... eating!  My kids were clearly starving.  They found grape vines on our walk down the hill and enjoyed eating the "not so ripe" grapes, until a local told them they'd make them sick!

 photo IMG_4635_zps00c3a104.jpg

 photo IMG_4641_zpse98cc6c7.jpg

 photo IMG_4647_zps8089eb3d.jpg

The food we found was amazing!  These gyros were so good.  I'd give my right arm for one right now.  My favorite thing (as I mentioned on my Venice post) was the brightness and color of their produce.  And notice the empty bowl above my plate... it once contained "fried cheese"- a Greek specialty, that obviously didn't last long on our table!

 photo photo_zps8ecf2682.jpg

And with full bellies, it was time to do some shopping at The Plaka.  It was early in our trip, so we didn't buy much, but we enjoyed looking around!


 photo IMG_4651_zps65f4f308.jpg

Our time in Athens was so enjoyable.  Cool weather, fun sights, great food, and all the shopping we desired!  Next stop- Turkey!

1 comment:

  1. That's a good look for Jason! Your photos are beautiful and your ability to tell a story is nothing short of incredible. Thank you for sharing all this with those of us who are praying for you back "home."

    ReplyDelete