8.03.2012

five on friday

1.  I don't have any great pest stories for you this week, but I did hit a dog in the truck this week.  To be fair, the dog hit me, and I'm not actually sure if it went under a wheel or just ran really fast into the side of the truck.  The happy news is that it was walking when I looked in my rear-view mirror.  That's more than I can say about the MAN I hit!

2.  A friend and I started teaching a college English class two weeks ago.  I forgot how much I missed all those eyes on me... even though these eyes are much older than the ones I'm used to!  I've been a little jealous of all the FB post from my fellow teacher friends.  I think August will always tug at my heart.  Enjoy your year, friends!

3.  Our class on 1 just officially started it's summer break!  Jack and I are taking it easy for a few weeks before we get started back.  When we return, Max will be on board for some PreK/ Kindergarten activities.  He's not thrilled, but I'll see what I can do to change that!  He enjoys cutting tiny shreds of paper and drawing on the board.  If you ask him to do anything else, he's "HOT" and finished with school! I foresee some serious sticker charts and motivators in our future.

4.  I did want to share a quick tip for those who have children that need to learn multiplication facts this year.  Things that require memorization tend to give Jack fits, so I knew multiplication was going to KILL us.  Since homeschooling curriculum is sometimes a tad ahead, we faced those terrible times tables last semester in second grade.  BUT Jack loved them thanks to Times Tales.


imgres.jpg


I'll tell you in advance that I thought it sounded a little crazy at first, but in desperation I tried it.  I knew it worked when Max watched the video with us and starting answering the questions.  It assigns each number a character and tells silly stories about them that have the answers "hidden."  I'd highly recommend it if you dread the memorization process!

5. In other important news, I opened my last pack of Crest Toothpaste this week.  I guess my three tubes I brought aren't going to last me for three years.  I overestimated the lifespan of a tube of toothpaste.  Looks like I'll have to add that to my wishlist.  I can settle on lots of things, but switching to Colgate is NOT an option!

imgres.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment